Subject: page-wide figures in a two-column layout

Hello,

I'm trying to format an article with a two-column layout, with figures
(and tables) embedded that should span both columns. I'm setting the
'pgwide' attribute to '1' on the respective elements, but the generated
pdf looks wrong: the figure starts in the second (right) column, and
then extends beyond the page boundary to the right.

I'm using fop (version 1.0) to generate the pdf, and Richard Hamilton's
IEEE stylesheet.

Any idea what might be wrong ?

Thanks,
        Stefan