Subject: Re: Better rendering for programlisting

David Cramer <david@thingbag.net> writes:

> On 05/05/2012 10:38 AM, davep wrote:
>
>>> 1. Stick with what we have now. 2. Use the table solution and
>>> accept the limitation that all lines must always be the same
>>> height.
>>
>> Why is this an issue Norm? How often in a fixed width font do users
>> want exponents/Drop caps etc?

That's sort of the question. Is it OK if a graphic or superscript in a
programlisting causes all of the line numbers to be weirdly
out-of-sync?

AFIACT, all of the table solutions I've seen online apply specifically
to plain-text program listings, where there's no opportunity for other
things to appear.

In DocBook, other things can appear. Is that the author's problem,
the production editor's problem, or the stylesheet's problem?

> The callouts cause the lines that contain them to be a little higher
> than the others, causing the line numbers to become out of whack. If
> you have more than a couple of callouts, the code listing ends up
> extending beyond the line numbers and obviously the line numbers
> aren't accurate.

I think we can make the callout case work. We can use CSS to adjust
the line-height so that callouts don't cause a problem. The more
pressing issues are: what about cases where CSS isn't applied and what
about program listings that contain other line-height-altering markup?

>>> I'm open to suggestions on 3, but I'm not likely to figure it out
>>> myself.
>>>
>>> Thoughts? Other suggestions?
>>
>> You've obviated the line numbers by putting content in col 2... why
>> not finish the job and put co in col 3?

Because that won't help. There could still be a superscript or image
(think inlinemediaobject) in the programlisting.

>> Then I could cut/paste?
>
> That should be hard requirement for html outputs.

It's hard alright.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--