Subject: Problems customizing an article titlepage

I'm trying to create a PDF title page for my docbooks and I'm running
into two issues. I'm having difficult figuring out what is wrong, partly
because I'm using the article class instead of the book class for my
documents. I'm also using a 2 column layout

1.) Despite having column.count.titlepage set to 1, I'm still getting 2
columns on the titlepage.

2.) I want to remove the headers and footers (and corresponding rulers)
from the titlepage. From what I've read, the titlepage is supposed to
have blank headers/footers already, so I'm not sure how to remove them.

I suspect both of these are part of the behavior of the article class.
Any advice that could point me in the write direction would be greatly
appreciated (mostly likely it's in Bob's book and I just haven't spotted
the solutions yet).

Thank you,

DAVID GOSS | Technical Writer
P 1.800.876.9218 x 345 | F 1.800.588.9866
dgoss@mueller-inc.com
http://www.MuellerReports.com