Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] generating pdf from DocBook slides

On 05/30/2012 02:32 PM, honyk wrote:
> Hi Justus,
>
>>> I've tried to utilize Slides DTD for our training courses but quicky
>>> find the element suite too small and hence limiting me.
>
>> Did you use "slides" or "slides-full"? The latter contains essentially
>> all of DocBook.
> to be honest, your reply was the first place I saw this 'slides-full'
> option. And it looks really promising.

I wasn't aware of this either. However, as we are now working on a
slides grammar on top of DB5, I hope we can soon discuss what the
canonical vocabulary should look like in the RelaxNG age. :-)

> FYI to persuade my colleagues to abandon PowerPoint I had to offer them an
> acceptable replacement. I had previous experience with Oxygen XML wysiwyg
> mode so I used this tool here as well. There was no built-in support for
> DocBook Slides (my request is here
> http://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/topic5128.html ) and as I was in a hurry,
> instead of customizing Oxygen I tweaked the core DocBook.
>
> If I started now (and had enough time), I'd likely use the opposite
> approach.

FWIW, I'm using xxe from xmlmind (http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/),
and am very happy with it. It comes with Slides (3.4) support built in,
and thus it's easy to get started writing DB-based slides.

I have tweaked the fo stylesheets quite heavily to produce pdf slides in
an acceptable format, and would like to merge those changes (hopefully
improvements) back into mainline as I have time. As you also seem to
have done quite some work on fo stylesheets to produce the slides that
you were referring to in an earlier mail, perhaps you would also be
willing to contribute your work back ?

As part of this year's GSoC project we will mainly focus on HTML-based
presentations, and in particular include S5
(http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/).

    Stefan