Subject: RE: Saxon CE

Carlos wrote on Sat, 16 Jun 2012 06:39:47 -0700:

>Has anyone tried using the new Saxon CE to run transformations in the
>browser? Did it work for you? Did you have to make any changes to your
>customization layers if it did work?

I havent' tried successfully yet, but now Saxonica's has published
Saxon-CE 1.0, one of the tasks I have is to produce a transform
solution for Saxon-CE's own documentation such that the docbook is
transformed within the browser using Saxon-CE to HTML. I'm very new to
the DocBook XSLT project so I'm not really in a position to answer
questions right now (quite the reverse), but the goal is that any
solution produced for Saxon-CE's documentation should be of general
use also to anyone else using DocBook with Saxon-CE.

Not knowing much about DocBook's XSLT project I started by downloading
the latest stable version 1.77.1. but I realize now this was probably
a mistake because all modules seem to be for XSLT is 1.0, and we
really need to exploit XSLT 2.0's benefits in Saxon-CE if possible so
I'm now looking to start with the resources available at:
https://github.com/docbook/xslt20-stylesheets. First attempts with
1.77.1 showed XSLT compile errors because XML parsers in browsers
generally don't work with DTD entity references so I'm expecting
similar issues with the XSLT 2.0 version.

Without having looked closely at the DocBook XSLT I do have some
concern about the apparent number of XSLT files that need importing
for a transform. XSLT-compile time on the browser will be critical
(mitigated somewhat by compiling at the same time as asynchronously
fetching the initial source XML) so this is something I will be
looking at closely.

Any thoughts, is starting with the github DocBook XSLT 2.0 project the best bet?

Phil Fearon
(Saxonica)