Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] RE: Saxon CE

On 19.6.2012 18:40, Philip Fearon wrote:

> Any thoughts, is starting with the github DocBook XSLT 2.0 project the best bet?

As Bob already said if you use only subset of DocBook markup and are
concerned about speed then writing simple stylesheet from scratch might
be the best idea.

On the other hand if you want to cover all of DocBook and have support
for localization, etc. then using XSLT 2.0 stylesheets from GitHub are
the right choice for Saxon-CE.

Of course some customitation is needed as stylesheets were primarly
targeted for off-line usage where you convert one large DocBook document
into one large HTML file or set of smaller interlinked HTML pages
(chunked output).

To my knowledge current saxonica site is composed from large number of
small XML files where each XML file corresponds to HTML page in browser
and there is navigation generated between those page. In your case you
have to decide if you want to retain this approach -- then you will have
to extend existing stylesheets with additional code to generate
navigation. Or you can have complete site in one large DocBook XML and
use interactive features of Saxon-CE to render only part of document and
map navigation to AJAX-like refreshes of page. In this case modifaction
of chunking code to use interactive features of Saxon-CE will be
necessary as well. But I think it is cruical to decide on this before
designing the best architecture.

Anyway I would be interested in watching your progress and if my
knowledge and time will permit I will try to help answers related to
XSLT 2.0 stylesheets and DocBook in general.

				Jirka

BTW, congrats for releasing 1.0 of Saxon-CE.