Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] embedding fonts in generated pdf

Hi Stefan,

Am Montag, 16. Juli 2012, 10:55:48 schrieb Stefan Seefeld:

> [...] I hope that the question is
> common enough in this community that someone may actually be able to help.

But it's related to DocBook. ;-)

> For an IEEE paper submission I need to embed the used fonts into the
> pdf. I'm using fop, and `pdffonts paper.pdf` reports
>
> name                  type              emb sub uni object ID
> --------------------- ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
> Helvetica             Type 1            no  no  no     181  0
> Times-Roman           Type 1            no  no  no     182  0
> Times-BoldItalic      Type 1            no  no  no     183  0
> Courier               Type 1            no  no  no     184  0
> Times-Italic          Type 1            no  no  no     185  0
> Times-Bold            Type 1            no  no  no     186  0
>
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/AddFont.html suggests that I need to
> generate a font metrics file for the fonts I'd like to embed. So I'm
> looking for the above fonts on my system (Fedora 17).

I don't think you need the font metric files anymore. FOP can automatically
detect any font, see [1]. You just need to tell FOP what directory it needs to
be searched:

<renderers>
   <renderer mime="application/pdf">
      <fonts>
         <!-- register all the fonts found in a directory -->
         <directory>/usr/share/fonts/truetype</directory>

         <!-- automatically detect operating system installed fonts -->
         <auto-detect/>
      </fonts>
   </renderer>
</renderers>

> Any suggestion as to how to embed the standard (default) fonts when
> generating pdf from DocBook ?

Does it really need to be the "standard" fonts? There are so many fonts out
there that are more legible and aesthetically more pleasant than these boring
"standard" fonts.

I've collected a small, but incomplete list in my book's project[2].
Unfortunately, the topic isn't finished yet and contains some FIXMEs and TBDs.
:) Maybe you find some fonts which is for your needs.

If you have found some, make sure to set the font parameters in [3]. Set at
least body.font.family, sans.font.family, and monospace.font.family.

Have fun!