Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] export from MS Excel to DocBook?

I did something like this recently to take some spreadsheets (or rather tab-delimited data from them) and format it in LaTeX. I'm not a programmer, so my skills doing something like this are pretty crude. I used this bit of Lua code to pull data from a tab-delimited text file produced by Excel and read it into a Lua table. In your case, you could use the LuaXML library to write data from the table to a Docbook file as you see fit.

	function string:split( inSplitPattern, outResults )
		if not outResults then
			outResults = { }
		end
		local theStart = 1
		local theSplitStart, theSplitEnd = string.find( self, inSplitPattern, theStart )
		while theSplitStart do
			table.insert( outResults, string.sub( self, theStart, theSplitStart-1 ) )
			theStart = theSplitEnd + 1
			theSplitStart, theSplitEnd = string.find( self, inSplitPattern, theStart )
		end
		table.insert( outResults, string.sub( self, theStart ) )
		return outResults
	end

	-- table to hold data
	local data = {}

	local file = assert(io.open(arg[2], "r"), "Error error reading file")
	line = file:read("*line")

	repeat
		table.insert(data, line:split("\t"))
		line = file:read("*line")
	until line==nil
	file:flush()
	file:close()

Again, not elegant, but it worked out for me.

-David
<dgoss@mueller-inc.com>