Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] DocBook Slides 5.0 beta1 available for testing

Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@kovesdan.org> wrote on Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:18:49
+0200:

>> - Multiple mediaobject children appear all to be rendered, although only
>>   one of them should be.  How can this happen? I would think that this
>>   is handeled by the stock DB stylesheets, not by anything specific to
>>   Slides. (I see this in informalequation/mediaobject, where I have
>>   textobjects containing LaTeX and auto-generated MathML, respectively.)
>
> I think I modified the template for this. If only one should be rendered
> why does the schema allow more? DB Slides uses this possibility to allow
> more imageobject's inside.

This violates the spec; see The Definitive Guide
(http://www.docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/mediaobject.html): "The primary
purpose of the mediaobject is to provide a wrapper around a set of
alternative presentations of the same information."

>> - On my wishlist: speakernotes are currently only possible in specific
>>   places within slides, foilgroup and foil (as they were in DB<5 I
>>   think).  However, I see no reason to impose such restrictions.  Why
>>   not allow attaching speakernotes to just about anything? ...

> ... But I have no strong opinion on this so if you prefer scatter
> your notes among real content elements, I don't object to such change.
> I'll add this to my todo list. I'll also have to modify the stylesheets
> so that you customize it.

Great, thanks!

This is important to me because I use speakernotes for material that I
do not show on the slides but develop on the board and/or in dialog with
students (which, I think, is well within the semantics of "speaker
notes").  "Anywhere" speakernotes allow me to place the content exactly
where it belongs.  I also produce booklet output from the slides for the
students that do include the speakernotes; thus, it is very important
that the content appear in the right place.

Justus