Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Epub3 - zip, or not ?

>How far do you take this Kerry?
>Insist that java be on the $PATH?

There's a lot of discussion in Bob's book, and elsewhere, about how to get Xslt processors working.  That tends to include a bit about getting Java running as so many are Java-based.

>That permissions be set for local directories?
You wouldn't have got that far with them set wrong.

They are an issue that applies to (nearly) all computer work.  This is the first time ever, in many years working with computers, that I've found somethiing with a specific requirement of which zip utility is used.  (or which one isn't)

>There has to be a break point somewhere.
Yes.
But the program in question is not standard in (probably) the most widely used operating system.  All I really wanted was slightly more information on what to use and how to get it going.  As I mentioned in another response my usual zip program, 7-zip, can't do the job.  I could have saved a morning's experimentation if someone had documented that.  A Google search shows that others have already discovered this so it'd be helpful if the central point for DocBook generation of epubs, ie the Readme file in the epub(3) directory of the docbook-xsl project, mentioned it.

And speaking as someone who doesn't like cluttering up the PATH with folders for rarely-used programs I always try and run things directly from their homes, rather than via path.  In this case (unusually I think) the program appears to work when run directly but turns out not to be able to run properly unless accessed via PATH, something discovered only after a period of experimentation.

>"it isn't a standard operating system file." It is, on my Operating System?

Oh, what operating system is that then ?
Don't think any version of Windows has it.

>Shades of grey everywhere?

How many ?
It gets absolutely everywhere doesn't it ?
Aaarghh .........  didn't think that could creep into this list !

Uncertainly,
Richard.

Richard Kerry
BNCS Engineer
T: +44 (0)20 82259063
M: +44 (0)7812 325518
Room EBX 301, BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, London, W12 7RJ
richard.kerry@atos.net
uk.atos.net

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.