Subject: Incorrect right hand indentation for footnotes inside blockquote

[Forwarded from an internal debian bug report]
Could someone confirm this is a bug in fop ?

<begin copy/paste>
I ran into this problem while using docbook-xsl and fop to generate a
PDF for the translated version of the Free Culture book by Lawrence
Lessig.  See
the complete source of that project.

The problem is that footnotes in a text block inside a <blockquote>
inherit the right hand indentation from the <blockquote>, instead of
having the expected indentation of other foot notes on the same page.

I see this problem with docbook-xsl version 1.76.1+dfsg-1, fop version
1:0.95.dfsg-11 and xsltproc version 1.1.26-6.  I am not sure if this
problem is with docbook-xsl or any of the other tools, so I start on the
"frontmost" package and hope you can reassign it if a better candidate
is found.

I've created an example docbook file demonstrating the problem with the
default setup for docbook-xsl and fop.  I'm attaching this file, the
generated .fo file and the PDF demonstrating the problem.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this problem without recompiling
anything?
</end copy/paste>

ref:

Thanks much !
--
Mathieu
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.2//EN"

Name this example file bad-blockquote-footnote.xml and process it like
this to trigger the problem:

  xsltproc -o bad-blockquote-footnote.fo \
    /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/docbook-xsl/fo/docbook.xsl \
    bad-blockquote-footnote.xml
  fop -fo bad-blockquote-footnote.fo -pdf bad-blockquote-footnote.pdf

 -->
<book>
  <bookinfo>
    <title>Your title here</title>
  </bookinfo>
<preface>
This is the footnote with some text in it.  The important part is to
get enough text in it to make sure it wrap and become two lines in the
PDF page.  To ensure this will happen, I can quote myself, stating it
is important to be able to reproduce bugs to fix them.

</para></footnote> This is after the footnote.
</para>
<para>
This is another text blob, this time a blockquote, with a foot note in
it.<footnote><para>
Also for the footnote within the block quote, it is important that
there is enough text to make sure it wrap and become two lines in the
PDF page.  If anyone is still interested, I can state that docbook
processing using free software still lack quite a lot of polish.
</para></footnote>
</para>
<para>

To prove the point and show the zig-zag at the bottom with the foot
notes.  Here is a footnote outside the block quote
again.<footnote><para> How can foot notes be handled this badly with
docbook-xsl and fop?  Am I the only one using this combination with
footnotes?  I sure hope not, to avoid finding more bugs in the
future.</para></footnote>
</para>

</preface>
</book>