Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Customizing the topic element

Hi,
You would need to modify the template for procedure to get the steps back in the correct order. In the template with match="procedure" in fo/lists.xsl, the $preamble variable is set to gather up everything in the procedure that is not a title or a step, in accordance with the content model for procedure. It also creates a $steps variable containing the step elements. If you adjust the definitions of those two variables to account for topic child of procedure, you should be able to retain the order of the imported steps.

From: "Robert Fekete" <frobert@balabit.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:28 AM
To: "DocBook Apps" <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [docbook-apps] Customizing the topic element

Hi,

I am still trying to make it possible to xinclude a group of elements to multiple places in a document, and be able to validate every file. The simplified use-case is the following:

file1.xml:
<procedure>
    <title>Procedure 1</title>
    <step>Step 1
    <step>Step 2
    <step>
    <xinclude href="file2.xml">
</procedure>
<procedure>
    <title>Procedure 2</title>
    <step>Step 1
    <step>Step 2
    <step>
    <xinclude href="file3.xml">
</procedure>
file2.xml (includes steps common for both procedures):
<topic>
    <step>Common step 1
    <step>Common step 2
    <step>
</topic>

My problem is that when including file2, I get error messages:
"Element step in namespace 'http://docbook.org/ns/docbook' encountered in topic, but no template matches."

That's not surprising, so I added a custom template that (I hope) calls the proper template for every element found in topic/step:
<xsl:template match="d:topic/d:step">
    <xsl:for-each select="./*">
        <xsl:apply-templates select="."/>
    </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>

However, in the output the steps from the topic are located at the top of the procedure (and are not numbered), so it looks like:
Common step 1
Common step 2
1. Step 1
2. Step 2

(Instead of
1. Step 1
2. Step 2
Common step 1
Common step 2
(Similar thing happens when xincluding a topic containing listitems into an itemizedlist.)
)

How can I tell the stylesheets to treat the child nodes of a topic as if the topic node weren't there?

Kind Regards,

Robert