Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] semantics of "replaceable" element.

I missed that this only happened when there was a sibling. The example I tried only had one instance of replaceable embedded. When I added a second instance, it worked exactly as Stefan describes. Sorry for any confusion.

To complete what I suspect Bob was going to suggest, you can add a template to your customization that removes this behavior (the template below would do the job).

I just looked at the stylesheets, and they include a parameter called function.parens, which when set will take input of the following type:

<function>foo<replaceable>x</replaceable><replaceable>y</replaceable></function>
and render it as: foo(x, y).

The problem seems to be that the template for d:function checks this parameter, but the template for d:function/d:replaceable (and d:function/d:parameter) doesn't . The result when function.parens is set to 0 is inconsistent.

I think the following change would fix the problem for Stefan, and leave the capability in for anyone who wants to use function.parens:

<xsl:template match="d:function/d:replaceable" priority="2">
  <xsl:call-template name="inline.italicmonoseq"/>
  <xsl:if test="$function.parens != '0' and following-sibling::*">  <!-- here is the changed line -->
    <xsl:text>, </xsl:text>
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

You'd need to do the same with d:function/d:parameter, too, though it appears that parameter is not allowed inside function, so it may be a moot point.

Dick
-------
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators