Subject: Zero-width space as line-wrapping workaround?

Does anyone have experience using ​ -- the Unicode "zero-width space" character (see http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/200b/index.htm)?

If it works as advertised, it would be helpful for the hyphenation of some of our really_really_super_and_extra_long_option_names, particularly when they're within table cells. For example, this would make sure the table width won't "explode" when there's a cell like this:

<entry>
<option>really_really#8203;_super_and_extra#8203;_long_option_name</option>
</entry>

I presume the idea is to have a character that has no visible effect within a keyword, but allows it to be split across lines anyway.

Personally, I don't like invisible things like this that could get in the way of grepping through the source.

Any other pros and cons? Maybe other/better ways to work around the problem?

Cheers,

Stefan