Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] How do you manage your catalogs ?

> The easiest thing to do would be an editor as XMLMind's XXE
> (as Stefan
> Seefeld pointed out), or Oxygen XML Editor which my
> department is using.

That involves buying some editors as we don't currently have any; though I think XXE can be used for free so that might be a possibility for the moment.

> Creating common formats like HTML, XHTML, PDF, and EPUB is
> pre-configured in Oxygen, so it's just a matter of a few clicks to
> produce those formats.

Because we're used to seeing a particular style of results I'd need to customize this, which is what I'm doing with the stylesheets at the moment.

> We've set up a
> make-based system that works the exact same way on the central build
> server and when run locally; for example (for a document
> named book.xml):
>
> * 'make book.valid': runs xmllint and other tools to validate book.xml
> * 'make book.html'
> * 'make book.pdf'
> * 'make book.epub'
> * etc.

I'd need to hide the specific tool as my colleagues aren't used to command-line tools in general, and make in particular.

> The idea is to have an easy-to-remember set of commands that
> work both
> locally and "centrally", and a system that can be set up
> fairly quickly.

I'd be inclined to hide this behind some GUI application.

> More information can be found here:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysqldoc-guide/en/index.html (and
> the complete
> tool set is here:
> http://downloads.mysql.com/docs/mysqldoc-toolset.tar.gz).

I'll try and have a look at some of these.

Appreciatively,
Richard.