Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Page numbers in citations in XHTML5

"Bob Stayton" <bobs@sagehill.net> writes:
> It seems to be an unsupported feature.  This comment appears in the
> template for biblioref:
>
> <!-- To be done: add support for begin, end, and units attributes -->
> [...]
> I suppose a simple presentation might handle the most common cases:
>
> the value of 'units', followed by a space, followed by the value of
> 'begin', and if the value of 'end' is not blank, then dash, followed
> by the value of 'end'.

While the result might be intelligible, it will not be acceptable in
technical writing. If the "units" are 'pages', simply putting that into
the output is not enough. If there is a range of multiple pages, it must
be changed (in the English locale at least) to "pp." followed by a
non-breaking space, the value of "begin", an en dash, and the value of
"end". But if the value of "begin" and "end" are the same, the units
"pages" must be expessed as "p." followed by a non-breaking space and
the value of "begin".

And here there are possibly limitations with the Docbook format. How
could an author specify e.g. "p. 22ff"?

Christopher Culver