Subject: how to manually output epub (but not epub3) files?

In my previous question about adding custom attribute tags, ( https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/201301/msg00021.html ) I noted a solution which seemed to work for epub output but not the epub3 output.

I used to use a script to run the docbook epub xsl, copy the assets and zip everything up. Which has broken since that time. Luckily, it seems that epub3 format can be read by most ebook readers which can read epub files. (Kindle Previewer can even compile kf8 files from epub3 files).

I have come to prefer the manual steps for running the epub3 output XSL rather than relying on Ant or some other script. It's easier. If I wanted to run the original (i.e., previous)  epub (not the epub3) docbook.xsl script, and run the other steps (moving images, zipping up), manually, how would I do this?

(I'd like to know how as insurance in case one of my customization xsl for my previous projects turn out not to work when I use epub3 output).

The directions for epub3 say that you run it by importing epub3/chunk.xsl, but there is no parallel to that in the epub directory. There is just epub/docbook.xsl . And running that produces a cryptic path error message.

(ignore the epub3-output directory, I'm importing the epub/docbook.xsl  into the same directory I use for epub3 output).

System ID: I:\My Documents\1latest\docbook-xsl-ns-1.78.0\xhtml-1_1\chunker.xsl
Start location: 105:0

System ID: I:\My Documents\1latest\docbook-xsl-ns-1.78.0\xhtml-1_1\chunker.xsl
Start location: 105:0

Engine name: Saxon6.5.5
Severity: error

Any idea what's happening here or suggestions about how to run this manually? Thanks.

--
Robert Nagle
6121 Winsome Ln #56C, Houston TX 77057-5581