Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Anomaly with index and titleabbrev

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick response.  BTW, I discovered another anomaly while I was doing this. With the same options set, an indexterm in partintro will pick up the title of the part, not titleabbrev, even if title and titleabbrev are not inside info.

One question for the group in general. The reason I found these anomalies is that I wanted more concise links in the back-of-the-book index, which led to a kluge where I generate titleabbrev elements for every section or higher level title in the book. That's clearly a kluge, especially if you need titleabbrev for other purposes, but it at least let me experiment with the style of links in the index.

The current style, which uses the nearest section or higher level title, can lead to a very wordy index. Yet page numbers don't apply (and you couldn't generate them anyway). So, I decided to use the chapter number (or the strings "preface", "glossary", and "bibliography") followed by the section number (even if there aren't numbered sections). This looks pretty good and, with some explanation, provides at least some information on context (which is actually more than you get from page numbers).

I'd be curious as to whether others have done anything interesting with the links in back-of-the-book indexes for ebooks, or if anyone has thoughts on alternative ways of handling them.

Best regards,
Dick
-------
XML Press