Subject: O'Reilly blog...

http://techblog.safaribooksonline.com/2013/02/01/the-unxmling-of-digital-books/

" Until we have an EPUB sans XHTML, it’s worth considering a lightweight subset of the format, one that represents a convention over configuration approach. A “microformat” version — EPUB: the beach novel edition — could be mechanically “upsampled” into big boy EPUB for use in the real ecosystem. It won’t solve the problem of heterogeneity in books (which is, after all, not actually a problem except to reading system developers), but it could make it easier for even experienced ebook authors to create publications without firing up an XML editor, for the majority of books that have very simple metadata requirements.  I’ll outline some ideas for that in a future post."

Odd post by Liza Daly, I‘m the VP of Engineering at Safari Books Online.

I thought others might be interested.

DaveP