Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook article with cover

thanks a lot!
ill try one of those as soon as i can

2013/2/4 Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net>
Hi Critobal,
Although the DocBook stylesheet has empty placeholder templates named 'front.cover' and 'back.cover', those are only called when processing a book element.

I can think of three approaches to this problem.

1.  Create a book that contains just a book title and an article, where the book title matches the article title. That's valid DocBook, but it might produce artifacts like a table of contents and verso title page that you would need to turn off in the XSL, neither of which is difficult.

2.  Copy the template with match="d:article" from fo/component.xsl to your customization layer, add a call to 'article.front.cover' before the main page-sequence, and write a template by that name that generates an fo:page-sequence prior to the main article page-sequence.  Something like:

<xsl:template match="d:article">
  <!-- add just this line -->
  <xsl:call-template name="article.front.cover"/>

  <fo:page-sequence [existing sequence for the main article]
</xsl:template>

and write this template:

<xsl:template name="article.front.cover">
  <xsl:call-template name="page.sequence">
    <xsl:with-param name="content">
        [the fo:blocks that make up the content of the cover page]
    </xsl:with-param>
  </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>

3.  The titlepage system for article automatically calls an empty placeholder template named 'article.titlepage.before.recto' that is called before the regular title page, but within the main page-sequence.  You could customize that template:

<xsl:template name="article.titlepage.before.recto">
  [the fo:blocks that make up the content of the cover page]
  <fo:block break-after="page"/>
</xsl:template>

This one needs the forced page break after it because it is included in the main article page-sequence.

In either case, the content needs to be specified.  The simplest would be to copy the article titlepage content:

<xsl:call-template name="article.titlepage.recto"/>

If you need less than that, then copy just the contents of that template from fo/titlepage.templates.xsl to your customized template and remove the elements you don't want on the cover.

Sent: Monday, February 04, 2013 10:51 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] docbook article with cover

Hi there!

I'm learning to use DocBook and I was trying to figure out how to make an article with coverpage... Or alternatively a book without the need of chapters (although i think I'd prefer the first thing) The xsl stylesheet scheme seems so flexible that I thought it must be possible... but i was lost in tons of sites on xsl stylesheet discussions...

I will continue my search, but I thought maybe i could just ask you (since you are the one person that surely knows that already) if it was possible and maybe if you had the appropriate reference for me :)

many, many thanks in advance,

Cristóbal Vio

Update:

I've continued my search and it still isn't clear to me if I need to do a new xsl style or alter the dtd part concerning the article type.

Still hoping you can answer.

Thanks in advance,

Cristóbal