Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] How to validate assemblies and the underlying files?

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for the info, I was afraid that this is the case :)

Regards,

Robert

On 03/14/2013 06:13 PM, Bob Stayton wrote:
Hi,
I know of no tool that can validate the resolved content of a DocBook assembly
in one step.  As you know, some XML parsers can resolve XIncludes and validate
the resolved content.  But DocBook assembly is not yet a finalized standard, and
I know of no parsers that have added it their kit. Currently your best bet is a
two-step process that applies the assembly.xsl stylesheet to the assembly file
to generate a DocBook document, and then pass the results to a validator like Jing.

From: "Robert Fekete" <frobert@balabit.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:06 AM
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi,

We are using a slightly customized Relax-NG schema based on docbook, and I
have the following problem when validating files (we are using Jing). Our
documents are highly modular, using lots of xincludes.

- When validating a traditional docbook document (for example, a book,
chapter, or article), everything is OK, out custom.rng file has an include
statement for the docbookxi.rng file, Jing resolves the xincludes, and
validates the complete document.

- However, for documents that use assemblies, the assembly.rng file (from
DocBook Assembly V5.1b7) validates only the top-level assembly file. The
underlying files (mostly chapters that xinclude further files) are not validated.

My goal would be to have a single custom.rng file that I can reference during
validation, and that would validate all types of files, as well as any files
they xinclude.

What is the proper way to do that?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kind Regards,