Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] GSoC Project Idea: integrated LaTeX output support for the stylesheets

On Fri, April 5, 2013 4:20 pm, Gábor Kövesdán wrote:
>> I am the author of xmlroff.  I would like it if it was more developed,
>> that I had more time to work on it, and that there were more than me
>> working on it, but it isn't, I don't, and there isn't, so I'm not
>> contesting your statement.
>>
> Ok, I didn't know you were the author. I didn't mean it as a malicious
> criticism, so I apologise if you felt like that. I would also loved if

I felt it was an honest assessment and was not at all malicious.

> there were other implementations of XSL FO and I especially like to
> initiative of xmlroff because it is written in C. A good C (or other
> native) implementation is also what the FreeBSD Project would desire but
> we tried it out and the current output is not good enough yet. Indeed,
> it would be really awesome if more people got involved in it but I think
> implementing an XSL FO renderer is not quite a trivial task. Anyway,
> haven't you thought of applying to GSoC with xmlroff as a mentoring
> organization? Probably you would have to describe some well-defined
> project ideas and probably it is too late for this summer and it may be
> worth a try for the next year.

I tried several years ago and didn't make the cut.  The same lack of
activity that you observe would count against it as a GSoC project at
present.

My current major activity w.r.t. formatting XML is the Print and Page
Layout Community Group at the W3C (http://www.w3.org/community/ppl/),
which is a place for anybody interested in XSL-FO or in any other
technology for making pages from XML.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@mentea.net
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming