Subject: Re: [docbook-apps]GSoC 2013 idea: Using client-side XSLT

On 7.4.2013 23:06, DImuthu Upeksha wrote:

> 1. In saxon-ce, it transforms xstl 2.0 style sheets at client side. Even I
> used customized style sheets it is needed to load all docbook style sheets
> to the browser. It takes a lot of time and in some cases browser crashes.
> So I think using existing  2.0 stylesheets are not going to work for this
> project.

It's quite likely that

https://github.com/docbook/xslt20-stylesheets/blob/master/xslt/base/html/docbook.xsl

is too much for browser base XSLT engine. However most of documents use
just small number of templates. So one of things you could do is either:

- strip down parts of stylesheets which are not necessary

- create some metastylesheets which will compose stylesheet on demand
based on elements used in your document

Also if there is some crash it would be nice to debug it in order to see
where the problem is.

> 2. In my opinion it is need to write a light weight style sheet from the
> beginning instead of that large chunk of files, that can be passed to
> Saxon-CE. But it is like re writing docbook style sheets. It is better if
> it be single style sheet without set of "includes or imports" so that we
> can improve the performance.

I don't think that rewrite is good approach. I think that by stripping
down existing XSLT 2.0 stylesheets you should get workable solution.

> So now I'm stuck at this point. Do you have any idea better than this to
> get an approach to this project.

You should do more investigations first. Are crashes caused by browser,
JS engine, Saxon-CE, ...? Are performance issues caused by size of
stylesheet or number of stylesheet modules that are loaded? You need to
know where the bottleneck is before you will try to remove it.

				Jirka