Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] using xpointer with modular DocBook

On 04/14/2013 03:24 PM, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
> If your variablelist has the ID "foo" and you want to refer to the
> first varlistentry you can write:
> xmlns(db=http://docbook.org/ns/docbook)xpointer(id(foo)/db:varlistentry[1])

Right, but that doesn't solve my problem of having to repeat the
namespace declaration. :-)

>> (Of course, if everyone used such editors it wouldn't matter, but since
>> some use normal text-based editors, I'm looking for a solution that
>> works everywhere.
> I don't think there is a general solution where you define somewhere the
> namespace and just refer to it. It seems, you need to add the namespace
> xmlns() scheme every time.

That's unfortunate. I was hoping there was a mechanism such as
xmlns-local() to export the namespaces from the current document into
the xpointer context.

> Maybe you add the xmlns() XPointer scheme before passing it to your XML
> parser. You could (theoretically) apply an XSLT transformation step and add
> the xmlns() scheme. That way you could avoid entities, however, you add an
> additional step (which may not be useful).

I wouldn't mind the additional step, but I don't like the idea that the
unprocessed document isn't valid any longer.

Thanks,
        Stefan