Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] WARNING: cannot add @xml:base to node set root element. Relative paths may not work.

Hi Lars, Bob,

Just one point: xsltproc does xml:base fixup on nodesets included through
XInclude, so inside the document there are xml:base elements added properly.
However, Bob's point still stands: if the top-level document is in non-current
directory, it will break the external references.

Speaking of Saxon, I am not sure if it does xml:base fixup properly on
XIncluded modular documents from different directories. Originally, I was
investigating a bug in libxml2 regarding xml:base fixup (pushed to master,
will be in the next release), but I also tried Saxon. Here is a link to the
thread on libxml2 mailing list (which has a small test case attached):

  https://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2013-April/msg00024.html

In brief, Saxon seems to emit xml:base relative to top-level document rather
than to the most recent point of inclusion. DocBook stylesheets (at least,
1.78.0 that I used) assume the location relative to the base of the including
nodeset. xsltproc conforms to the expectations of DocBook stylesheets, and as
far as I understand, to the XInclude specification.

Regards,
Alexey.