Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Box around the footer (re-post with images attached)

Hi Richard,
The 'foot.sep.rule' template can apply attributes to the fo:table that displays the footer content.  You probably used that to add the border around the whole footer.

To get the spacing you want, I recommend using margin properties in the fo:block element in the footer.content template.  That fo:block is used in each of the three table cells in the footer.   Something like:

<fo:template name="footer.content">
  <fo:block>
      <xsl:attribute name="border">0.1pt solid red</xsl:attribute>
      <xsl:attribute name="margin-left">6pt</xsl:attribute>
      <xsl:attribute name="margin-right">6pt</xsl:attribute>
      <xsl:attribute name="margin-top">3pt</xsl:attribute>
      <xsl:attribute name="margin-bottom">12pt</xsl:attribute>

      <xsl:choose>

You might define and use an attribute-set instead.  I added a border attribute just so you can see where the boundaries are, so you will want to remove that after testing.

With the border turned on, you can experiment with padding too, but you will find that the FO space-resolution rules sometimes alter the margin to compensate for the padding.

Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 5:41 AM

Ok - retrying this.  The images may appear in-line but I've attached the files in case they don't.

And I've added descriptions in case they still don't appear.

I've managed to get a border around my document's footer, using foot.sep.rule.

However, it isn't spaced how I want it and I can't get it to change in the way I want.

I'm trying to get (word footer.png):

The image shows a number of text items in the footer.  There is a box around all of them.
There is a space of a few millimetres/pixels (Looks like about 1mm) between the top of the text and the top line.
There is a slightly wider space between the right and left edges of the text and their respective border lines.
There is a gap between the bottom of the text and the bottom border line of roughly the height of one line of text.

but I'm getting (pdf footer.png):

There is a space of a few millimetres/pixels (Looks like about 2mm this time) between the top of the text and the top border line.
There is no significant space between the right and left edges of the text and their respective border lines (less than 1mm).
There is a space of a few millimetres/pixels (Looks like about 2mm this time) between the bottom of the text and the bottom border line.

(don't they say a picture is worth a thousand words - I reckon I've written about 150 here)

Note the lack of spacing at both left and right edges. Also the requirement for roughly one text line below the text showing here (some documents will have some text there).

I seem to get some effect by customizing footer.content.properties - that's how I've got the text to be grey.
However I don't seem to get any useful effect from the padding attributes, which are the ones I'd expect to need to use for this.
If I set "padding" I seem to get some padding added at the left edge, but not the other three. Even if I set all four of padding-left/right/top/bottom I only get space added at the left.

Can anyone advise what I need to do to get padding at right, left and bottom ?

I'm doing DocBook -> FO and then to PDF using FOP 1.1.

Regards,
Richard.

Blue line

Richard Kerry

BNCS Engineer

T: +44 (0)20 82259063

M: +44 (0)7812 325518

Room EBX 301, BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, London, W12 7RJ

richard.kerry@atos.net

uk.atos.net

Atos logo

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos group liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable