Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Problem with "\" in WebHelp Search

Hi Peter,

If you could share with us what you did, even some breadcrumbs, I would certainly appreciate it.  I am far from proficient in Java and would accept any help I can get.

Regards,
Morgan

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Desjardins [mailto:peter.desjardins.us@gmail.com]
Sent: June-05-13 3:02 PM
To: Fekete Róbert
Cc: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

This problem does not occur for me in docbook-xsl-ns-1.78.0. I've tested my own output in Firefox 21.0 and Chrome 27.0.1453.110 m. Seems unlikely that it's a namespace/non-namespace thing.

About technical terms like /var/log, the search indexer will strip most punctuation characters by default, it seems to be stripping / and \ from my search strings. Since I'm almost writing about file paths, code syntax, and other topics in which punctuation is a crucial part of search strings I need the search function to *not* strip punctuation. The solution I've used is to customize the Java indexer so that it indexes all the content twice, once with the default punctuation-stripping behavior, and then again with the punctuation in place. As a result, I can find strings like "/var/log" by searching for "/var/log," "var," or "log." I think this would make a good feature for webhelp but it does require a corresponding customization to the JavaScript search UI. It's not a quick change.

But I don't want to hijack the discussion here.

Peter