Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Placement of notes

Yes, that's some pretty serious customization. Here are some guidelines for doing something like this:

1. You'll need to mark all the elements that you want handled in a special way with role attributes.

2. You should process those special elements with templates in a mode different from the derfault, applying templates in that mode.

3. You will need to include empty templates that match on those elements with those roles, but in default mode (no mode attribute) to prevent them from being processed normally along with other text.

4. You'll need to customize certain DocBook templates to place the special text, trigger ing processing of them in the new modes. For example, customize the book template to call a template named something like "process.endnotes" and placed at the end of the book template to trigger end note processing there.

Good luck.

From: "Brad Scott" <brad.scott@brambletye-publishing.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:00 AM
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [docbook-apps] Placement of notes

Hi

I'm just investigating how best to handle notes in two scenarios for some humanities books I am working on, initially for html delivery, but also for print output at some point in the near future.

1. I have end of chapter notes distinct from footnotes, which need to be placed as follows:

----
chapter text...

Notes heading
1. End note text

Another section heading
Some more text
----

2. I have also got titles where the notes are at the back of the book, and contain some introductory text for each chapter:

----
Notes

Chapter 1
Introductory para
1. End note text

Chapter 2
Introductory para
1. End note text
----

I have a different @role on the <footnote>s to indicate where they will need to go, but I can see that assembling them in a specific place and with additional text is going to require some hefty customisation. Has anyone else had to deal with this kind of problem?

I have seen this thread from last year, but wondered if you might have some other useful pointers and tips, thanks:
http://markmail.org/message/wyjep632qaffnkin

Brad Scott