Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Breaking 'code' lines in tables for FO output (Apache FOP to PDF)

Hi Graeme,
If you are using DocBook 5, then element names in any stylesheet customization need have the DocBook namespace prefix (d:entry) as described here.

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomDb5Xsl.html

If not, they don't match on elements and do not work.

From: <graeme@heliocentrik.net>
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 4:32 AM
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi all,
I have an issue with text inside <code> and <programlisting> tags
overflowing horizontally when placed inside a table cell in Apache FOP
PDF output. In particular, long property names delimited by periods
(like 'my.app.configuration.file.location') run right across the other
cells, overlapping any text in adjacent cells.

I have set the monospace.verbatim.properties 'wrap-option' setting to
'wrap' inside my customisation layer [1], which seems to fix these lines
in standalone blocks. However, inside tables, I still get this ugly
behaviour [2].

This seems to have been enquired about some time ago [3], and the
proposed solution was to use the 'hyphenate-urls' template to add a soft
space after each period. However, my customisation layer includes the
suggested fix, and it doesn't appear to have any effect - the soft
spaces do not get added after periods.

It would also be great to find a solution which means I do not to have
to itemise every character which should cause a break - I'd prefer that
table cells themselves force wrapping, regardless of their contents.

I'm using the 'docbkx-maven-plugin' package, version 2.0.10, with Apache
FOP as my FO processor. I'm not sure which version of the stylesheets
I'm using with the Maven plugin, but I've tested the customisation layer
manually using the 1.78.1 stylesheets package and Apache FOP 1.1, and I
get the same effect, so I don't think it's a case of stale components.

I'd be grateful for any help or advice.

Graeme

[1] https://gist.github.com/capncodewash/6103651
[2] http://imgur.com/1Wn6Dce