Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] PDF Output: calling a different page master for a specific element

Hi Jeff,
If you are using XEP for your XSL-FO processor, you can use the rx:flow-section extension element provided by RenderX that is like a block that supports multiple columns.

If you are using Antenna House, you can use their extension that allows a axf:column-count property on an fo:block-container.

If you are using FOP, it is possible, but not easy. As you found, the basic problem is that the page column layout is defined in the page-master, but you can only change page-masters when you start a new page-sequence. But chapters start new page-sequences, not tables.

There is a workaround for FOP. G. Ken Holman of Crane Softwrights Ltd. has published a method for breaking up a single page-sequence into multiple page-sequences with different masters. His Page Sequence Master Interleave (PSMI) method introduces an intermediate XSL process to rearrange the pages in an FO file. PSMI is described at http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/psmi/index.htm.

From: "Jeff Hooker" <Jeff.Hooker@pmcs.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2013 2:36 PM
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi all,

I'd like to call a specific page master for an element that contains a specific attribute value. Essentially, if for long, narrow tables I want to be able to call a three-column page master that prevents it from flowing over a 100 pages when 33 would do. I'm having issues figuring out how to call the new master, and a certain degree of difficulty understanding the exact hierarchy I'm working with here.

I've been puzzling over the references in Docbook XSL trying to understand how to apply them to this case, but have so far come up dry. Has anyone written up a good explanation of this somewhere?

Cheers,
Jeff.