Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] initial pdf view with index side pane

Ah, yes. You're right that "starting-state" determines the state of the bookmark's children. I was using the literal hierarchy with a single top-level bookmark, and I was setting the attribute to "show" so that the second level of bookmarks would also appear on first open.

I went back and looked at the project where I had been testing this. It seems that the bookmark pane always appears whenever there are bookmarks. Richard's original message seemed to indicate that it *wasn't* appearing, and he wanted it to. So I'm not sure why I'm seeing different results here.

From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 10:49
To: Cavicchio, Rob; Richard Henwood; Wood Nick; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

HI Rob,

I had forgotten about that feature, but it doesn't seem to control the bookmarks window pane like Richard requested.   When the fop1.extensions param is set to 1, the fop1.xsl stylesheet module is used and outputs standard XSL 1.1 bookmark objects.  The 'starting-state' attribute is controlled by the DocBook XSL stylesheet param 'bookmarks.collapse', which was added in version 1.75.1:

The param's default value is 1, which sets starting-state="hide" (which actually hides that bookmark's children, not the bookmark itself), so it only shows the top-level bookmarks.

The DocBook stylesheet violates the strict hierarchy of the document in one way: it promotes all the children of the root element to top level bookmarks.  Otherwise the collapsed state would be a single bookmark for the root element, always requiring a click to expand that to something useful.  The promotion therefore displays the top-level list of elements like chapters, etc.  If 'bookmarks.collapse' = 0, then all those bookmarks are further expanded into the whole hierarchy in the Bookmarks pane.

A little more digging I found this interesting Adobe document entitled Parameters for Opening PDF Files:

I found I could open a PDF file with bookmarks turned off using a command like this:

  <path-to-acrobat-reader>/acrobat.exe  /a  pagemode=none  filename.pdf

That Adobe document also provides URL syntax for setting this feature, so if your PDF is being served by HTTP, you could include the setting in the URL.

As far as getting this setting into the PDF document itself, the Antenna House doc says it supports setting pagemode in the axf:document-info extension element.  And as Mauritz pointed out earlier, XEP suports a processing instruction <?xep-pdf-view-mode?> that lets you set the initial value.  But I don't find any such option for FOP.

Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 8:43 AM

It's been a while since I played with it, but I'm pretty sure that if you use XSL 1.1 bookmark objects (rather than the FOP extension for bookmarks), then the value of "starting-state" (show or hide) on the top-level bookmark determines if the bookmark pane is initially displayed. I'm pretty sure this works in FOP 1.0.