Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] smart quotes are acting stupid in Firefox & IE; why?

On 28.10.2013 17:11, Bob Stayton wrote:
> But I also found that when processing with the xhtml5 stylesheet instead
> of xhtml, that <meta> element is *not* output automatically (and the
> epub3 stylesheet is based on xhtml5).   I thought that was odd, since
> the xhtml5 stylesheet imports from the xhtml directory.  By
> experimentation, I found that the crucial difference is that the xhtml5
> stylesheet does not set the doctype attributes in the xsl:output
> element, because the XHTML5 standard does not support a DTD.  Apparently
> xsltproc and Saxon relied on the doctype attributes to generate that
> encoding meta element.

That's not entirely true. <meta> tag is generated when output method is
html or xhtml (<xsl:output method="html|xhtml"/>). XSLT 1.0 doesn't
support xhtml output method so xml method is used instead which doesn't
generate <meta> tag.

If original poster is using Saxon, then best solution is to use
saxon:xhtml as an output method -- this makes xhtml output method
available in XSLT 1.0 as well.

				Jirka