Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] performance issue - 5MB Source lead to a processtime up to 20 minutes

On 2014-01-16 Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 16.1.2014 17:32, markus.sticker.epos@zf.com wrote:
> >
> > If removed some obsolate (for my case) Parts and now I'm using the
> > saxon 9.5 with multithreading and 3G heap so my process time is about
> > 3-5 minutes. Not good - just a little better.
>
> First, I would check that you are using recent DocBook XSL stylesheet
> distribution (1.78.1).
>
> Then you can run Saxon with -t switch which will show you how long
> resources are loaded and transformed. This can give you some insight.
>
> Multi-core processor will not help, unless you are using features from
> commercial version Saxon-EE (and those features are not used in DocBook
> stylesheets), transformation runs in a single thread.

Have you set up catalogs in either xslproc or saxon? Otherwise DTDs are downloaded from the web which is much slower. IIRC, in a draft mode some resources are also taken from an external URL.

You can simply test this with disconnected network ;-)

Jan

PS: In 20 minutes it is possible to process 2500 pages PDF manual even without a special HW (I mean XML->FO->PDF).