Subject: html output has class attributes

hi, I would like to completely control the class attributes in the generated html output.
I'm using the DocBook 1.78.1 stylesheets.
Here is an example of what I'm doing. My document (name=listtest.xml):

<chapter xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook" version="5.0" xml:id="prcc">
  <para>
    <itemizedlist>
      <listitem>
        <para>one item</para>
      </listitem>
    </itemizedlist>
  </para>
</chapter>

The command:
xsltproc --stringparam css.decoration 0 /path/xsl-1.78.1/html/docbook.xsl listtest.xml

The output (snippet):
<ul class="itemizedlist" type="disc">
</ul>

I don't want any of the class attributes in the output because I will generate my own with a set of templates like this:
<xsl:template match="d:listitem[@remap='stmt']" mode="class.value">
  <xsl:value-of select="'stmt'" />
</xsl:template>

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Is there a way to turn off the class attributes?
thanks,
--Tim Arnold