Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Alternate background-color in table columns.

I see here (http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/BGtableColor.html) that
you could apply a "dbfo bgcolor" processing instruction to each entry
element in your XML source. That doesn't sound very pleasant though.

I would start by trying to customize the XSLT that writes FO elements
for tables. The way you do this depends on the specific DocBook
elements you are using for tables. If you use d:entry elements, it
looks like the <xsl:template match="d:entry|d:entrytbl" name="entry">
template in fo/tables.xsl might be a good place to experiment.

It looks like a fairly intricate template and it already does some
calculations based on columns. There are probably several ways to
identify the first entry in each row. When you figure out a way to do
that, try altering the bgcolor variable value.

I hope that's a little helpful.

Peter