Subject: colwidth = ? how to specify for FOP output?

I'm delivering a doc for a client that has a lot of tables. Output will be primarily PDF. Although I use XEP with Oxygen to output the PDF, my client wants to use only open source tools to generate their PDF. (ie. apache-fop).  The client would also like HTML output -- it's less critical but nice-to-have.

I'm somewhat new to CALS tables, so I've been learning about how to do borders and to set column width.

IN the description of colspec, (http://docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/colspec.html), I see no description of values for this. But Oxygen's table wizard and Bob's example ( http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Borders.html ) uses
 colwidth="1.0*" . I have no idea what that means. Can someone explain? In particular, what does that asterisk mean?

 When  colwidth="1.0*", the default CALS table  appears to be making every column of equal width, which is not particularly good for me. If I remove all the colwidth attributes, then the PDF  defaults to everything having the same width.

 For CALS tables, do I need to specify column width in cm or inches?

 My main reason for going for CALS over HTML tables is that I can't get HTML tables to put borders anywhere on the PDF output. (Can anyone confirm this?) On the other hand, if I use CALS tables, what happens to the HTML output? (Does it just make the width dynamic?)

 Finally, if I assume that colwidth has some auto-size feature (probably not?), what kind of support can I expect from Apache-FOP?

 Thanks.

--
Robert Nagle
6121 Winsome Ln #56C, Houston TX 77057-5581