Subject: using saxon + apache-fop -- help!

Hi, there, I'm going to give my client instructions about how to create the xslt docbook environment for producing docs.

Actually though I've never done it before from scratch usually hopefully only the command line.

I'm going to give directions for doing it in linux: saxon + apache+fop.

I'm now looking over Bob's directions and am trying to figure things out. I'm not really comfortable with java,  so I'm flying blind so to speak. I didn't realize that I would need to download some java libraries to process images/pngs (with JAI). Also, I probably need to remind myself how to add paths, etc.

(By the way, if anyone has prepared a more recent set of  instructions for deploying on a linux/ubuntu machine, feel free to forward it to me. Bob's documents are good, but 7 years later I fear that some of the instructions might be out of date)).

Here are some superficial questions that jump out on me:

1.  In Saxon, do I have to tell it (via a switch or special command) to use xincludes? Or will it already figure out that index.xml will call first.xml, second.xml, etc...
2. I guess I probably need to validate my files. Is Xalan still the best way to do that?
3. Is it still recommended to download and use Xerces instead of Saxon.

Thanks. Robert

java version "1.6.0_31"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.13.3) (6b31-1.13.3-1ubuntu1~0.12.04.2)

Robert Nagle
6121 Winsome Ln #56C, Houston TX 77057-5581
(H) 713 893 3424/ (W) 832-251-7522 Carbon Neutral Since Jan 2010
http://www.robertnagle.info