Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] support for xpointer

On 09/14/2014 02:02 PM, Richard Hamilton wrote:
> Regarding the question of pulling the second listitem from a section with a particular id, I think the following will do the trick (I don't claim it's the most elegant way to do this, but it works with xmllint):
>
>   <xi:include href="filename.xml"
>               xpointer="xmlns(d=http://docbook.org/ns/docbook)xpointer(//d:section[@xml:id='sect-a']//d:listitem[2]))"/>

Thanks, that works indeed !
But the syntax is rather verbose and cumbersome, especially given that I
want to establish references such as the above for a couple of hundreds
of definitions in a single (modular) document.
I'm considering defining my own technique (drawing inspiration from
http://www.docbook.org/docs/transclusion/transclusion.html), then using
a two-phase processing with the first doing the transclusion processing
to generate valid DocBook, then the second to do the actual formatting.

Thanks for all the help (and the continued work that goes into DocBook's
evolution),

        Stefan