Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Strategies for Migrating DocBook Customization in a Mixed DB4/5 Environment?

Just to clarify: The namespaced stylesheets and the original non-namespaced stylesheets are nearly identical, because one is generated from the other. The principal difference is that the element names in the namespaced stylesheets have the DocBook namespace prefix.

Both sets of stylesheets have templates matching on all element names from both DocBook 4 and 5, so each will work with either DocBook version, if the document namespace is adjusted in preprocessing. This works because XSL is template driven, and having templates that are not called is perfectly common. It also works because the content models between DocBook 4 and 5 are sufficiently compatible.

So adapting an existing customization layer is mostly done by adding the namespace prefix to element names and importing the ns stylesheet. This is described in:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomDb5Xsl.html