Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Visual DocBook editors

On 2015-05-23 Simon Dew wrote:
> On 2015-05-22 Jan Tosovsky wrote:
> >
> > originally I've been searching for any free / low cost visual
> > docbook editor for rare use by various non-techie people within
> > company as full-featured product (e.g. Oxygen Author) seems to
> > be an overkill.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there are just several alternatives, none of them
> > below $50.
>
> The free (GPL) version of Serna 4.4 is still available:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/sernafree/
>
> A little old now, but might be worth evaluating.

I remember this product. I've tried to find it recently, but I was
redirected a completely different product, not free any more. Thanks for
your link.

I've tried it now, but Serna has two main drawbacks from my POV:
* it is a 'dead' project
* you cannot switch to the raw XML version and do some interventions

On top of that, editing of attributes is not very user friendly.
Additionally, attributes cannot be displayed directly in tags (if they are
enabled in the visual mode).

I stopped investigate it further as even these limitations are blockers for
me.

Jan