Subject: AW: [docbook-apps] <part> should become <appendix> in another book

Hi Richard,

I've read your post and it looks like you're using the xpointer() scheme, right? Unfortunately, my tool chain with Xalan and Xerces does not support that scheme as described in the FAQ on the Xerces-Website by Apache. Rather it says Xerces supports the element() scheme. But this seems at least not fully functional: I encounter an XPointer error when using something like:

<xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; href="foo.xml" xpointer="element(foo)"/>

On the other hand, if I use a childsequence like the following, it works fine.

<xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; href="foo.xml" xpointer="element(/1/4)"/>

At the moment I have no need to include only parts of an xml with xinclude, but in case I had to I would have a problem with my tool chain. Maybe you or someone else have a solution for working with Xalan/Xerces and XPointer. (Or maybe I have to switch to a more sophisticated XSLT processor / XML parser combination some time.)

best regards
Benjamin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Richard Hamilton [mailto:hamilton@xmlpress.net]
Gesendet: Freitag, 21. August 2015 22:09
An: DocBook Apps

I think that thread should get you headed in the right direction.

I still use the method I described in a post on that thread. Some might call it inelegant, but it works for me:-). The only thing that I don't know about is how to integrate it into an Ant script. I'm an old fogey who still uses make for most builds (if it's not broken, don't fix it:-).

Dick Hamilton
-------
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators