Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Show off what you've done with Docbook

Katie,

While we are being frank, I have tried so many documentation options over the years that I have lost count.

The only one I liked using was IBM’s DCF, and that was 25 years ago.

Docbook comes close to DCF/Bookmaster, but it isn’t quite there.

The main criticism I have of Docbook is that it is incredibly complicated on the back end and when you hit a bug it’s beyond the abilities of even those who call themselves Docbook experts to fix.

I have tried various Wikis, Word and Adobe Robohelp, and it’s a competition between Word and Robohelp for last position.

The real strength of Docbook is that it’s part of a tool chain, so I have it hooked into Git, and whenever I get time to work on documentation I just update the Docbook file I am working on and push the change. When I push the change, Git runs the hook and rebuilds my documents in both HTML and PDF on a machine I have running at DigitalOcean.

So, from my perspective, the power of Docbook isn’t just the documents it creates, it’s the fact that it is the only tool I know of that I can use as part of a toolchain.

I develop and support a very specialized tool, and over the years I have all but given up on ever finding a technical writer I can work with. To be honest, the best thing for me about Docbook is that I have decided that unless someone can use Docbook they are not qualified to document my product. This means I end up writing my own manuals, but it also means I don’t waste time and money working with people who write content that I end up deleting.

Here is an example of one of my manuals

http://documentation-us.gazillabyte.com/book_sync.pdf

Hope that helps.

Logo

Gerard Nicol / CEO

gerard.nicol@gazillabyte.com

GazillaByte LLC

4600 S. Syracuse Street, Level 9, Suite 905, Denver Colorado USA

Cell +1-720-382-8560 / Office +1-720-583-8880

http://tapetrack.com

Languages English

While I am always happy to answer technical support questions, I am a regular traveler and may not always be able to respond as quickly as I would like. If you send your technical support questions to support@gazillabyte.com, a support case will be automatically created and you may get faster service.