Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Show off what you've done with Docbook

Katie,

I started my IT career working with IBM mainframes.

Mainframers live in a parallel upside down universe where simplicity is complexity and the more you need to know about something the more worthy it is of your admiration.

When I first started selling software I learned the hard way that most people “IT professionals” don’t know how to open a command prompt. So if it isn’t as easy as their iPhone to use you don’t make a sale.

To make matters worse, most people are incapable of understanding a manual, even if you have one and it is well written. So in the end, as a software vendor you need to have:

1.       Support people to do the work for the 70% of people who can’t do it for themselves even with a manual.

2.       YouTube videos for the 15% of people who would rather watch a How-To video than read a manual.

3.       A manual in web, PDF and hardcopy for those who insist on having a manual (who are the other 15% + some of the people above).

Other people might be seeing different things, but this is my experience.

The end result is that written manuals are only there for about 1 in 7 of my customers, and completely irrelevent to the others.

Do they teach people doing IT/Technology at University how to write documentation (or did they ever)?

If they do teach them, what platforms are they taught about?

Gerard