Subject: dblatex (was Re: [docbook-apps] Show off what you've done with Docbook)

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015, maxwell wrote:

On 9/13/2015 2:45 PM, Warren Block wrote:
The FreeBSD DocBook toolchain almost supports dblatex, but the older
versions did not have all the features we needed for PDFs.  Table of
contents and some other things, as I recall.  We now have a port of the
latest version of dblatex, but it dies mysteriously and needs more
investigation.

I don't recall exactly how we do the table of contents, but as I recall it's literally a one liner. For our grammars, we additionally have a Table of tables, table of figures, and for one document a Table of equations. Also a glossary, bibliography (for which we use bibtex data files, together with the Biber program, which has advantages over the older bibtex program), and an index. The glossary and index require the appropriate XML elements, and of course the biblio requires the .bib files, but otherwise it's all automagic.

Right. We had been using an older version of dblatex, which was missing some of those features.

Most of the customization we've had to do has been on the LaTeX side, for which we have two style sheets--one for producing PDFs for use on-line, the other for camera-ready copy for the print publisher.

Does your system die during the dblatex phase, or the LaTeX phase? We hardly ever see a failure in the dblatex phase, unless there's actually an error in the DocBook XML.

This example is a known-good DocBook XML file. However, I can't say for sure that the XSL file is current or working, and the problem might be there. "tag:" warnings trimmed:

dblatex book.parsed.print.xml -p /usr/devel/doc/share/xml/freebsd-dblatex.xsl -T simple -b xetex -d -o book.pdf
tag: default template used in programlisting or screen
Build book.parsed.print.pdf
/tmp/tmpUWdRvD not removed
Unexpected error occured
Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Adding -D to the command gives a Python traceback, which might tell something useful but not to me.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/core/dbtex.py", line 719, in main
    run.compile()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/core/dbtex.py", line 334, in compile
    donefiles = self._compile()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/core/dbtex.py", line 405, in _compile
    self.make_bin()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/core/dbtex.py", line 319, in make_bin
    batch=self.texbatch)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/dblatex/runtex.py", line 118, in compile
    self.texer.compile(texfile)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/dblatex/grubber/texbuilder.py", line 100, in compile
    rc = self.maker.make()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/dblatex/grubber/maker.py", line 240, in make
    rc = self.dep_nodes[-1].make(force=force)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/dblatex/grubber/maker.py", line 106, in make
    ret = self.run()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/dblatex/grubber/latex.py", line 152, in run
    if self.compile(): return 1
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbtexmf/dblatex/grubber/latex.py", line 214, in compile
    rc = subprocess.call(cmd, stdout=msg.stdout)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 522, in call
    return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception