Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] TOC with parents

On 19/11/2015 10:48am, Bob Stayton wrote:
> Hi Ari,
> You want to look at autotoc.xsl. The toc.xsl module has templates for a TOC that is created by hand using <tocentry> elements, something that almost no one does.  Use autotoc.xsl for an automatically-generated TOC.

Excellent. Can I suggest that some descriptive text at the top of each xsl file would help people like me a lot. I've spent most of my time focussing on the toc.xsl file and trying to understand how it works. What's missing when trying to understand it is a high level overview of how all the XSL fits together.

> oOur first step is to turn on a table of contents for each chunk output. That is controlled by the stylesheet param named 'generate.toc', and few params that control which levels of section get a toc, all described here;
>
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TOCcontrol.html
>
> That will trigger each element mentioned in 'generate.toc' to call its
> special template from autotoc.xsl to generate a TOC, which would be:
>
> 'division.toc' for set and book
> 'component.toc' for chapter, appendix, preface
> 'section.toc' for sections

Ah, the real trick here is that chapter isn't chapter.toc. And with that change, everything starts working! I got confused with and those mode things.

<xsl:template match="preface|chapter|appendix|article|topic" mode="toc">

I'm not trying to generate any TOC at the section level.

> By default, these will generate a "context-appropriate" TOC for each element, which means it includes only the children of the current element.  So you need to redefine 'component.toc' and 'section.toc' to instead call 'division.toc'.
>
> <xsl:template name="section.toc">
>   <xsl:param name="toc-context" select="."/>
>   <xsl:param name="toc.title.p" select="true()"/>
>
>   <xsl:for-each select="ancestor::d:book">
>     <xsl:call-template name="division.toc">
>       <xsl:with-param name="toc-context" select="."/>
>       <xsl:with-param name="toc.title.p" select="$toc.title.p"/>
>     </xsl:call-template>
>   </xsl:for-each>
>
> </xsl:template>
>
> The xsl:for-each is necessary to change the context from the current
> element to the book element.  The "d:book" is needed to match the namespace in DocBook 5, so use just "book" if you are using DocBook 4.

Interesting because I really thought I was using docbook 5 already. I'm using the XSLT from sourceforge (well, actually from maven central) with version 1.78.1 but nothing in that release (NEWS.html, README, REVISION, VERSION) gives me any clue as to whether it is tracking docbook 4 or 5. But since I had to remove the "d" namespace I'm guessing I must be on Docbook 4, even though I've been using the docbook 5 namespace and header

<book xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0"...

The next interesting thing is that with the above template, the generation worked fine but was incredibly slow. A 3 minute build process now took over an hour. Playing with toc.section.depth and toc.max.depth didn't make it go any faster (unless I made toc.max.depth=1 of course and most of the TOC were skipped).

I couldn't really see why since the only logs even at debug level were:

13:29:39.512 [ERROR] [system.err] Writing /Users/ari/svn/onCourseDocs/apidocs/build/html/ish/oncourse/server/cayenne/Script.html for chapter(ish/oncourse/server/cayenne/Script)

The file was still written just fine.

However this brought it back to a good speed:

    <xsl:template match="preface|chapter|appendix|article" mode="toc">
        <xsl:param name="toc-context" select="."/>
                <xsl:call-template name="subtoc">
                    <xsl:with-param name="toc-context" select="$toc-context"/>
                    <xsl:with-param name="nodes" select="/NOT-AN-ELEMENT"/>
                </xsl:call-template>
    </xsl:template>

My second problem is that your hack breaks all the links. The path is duplicated in the href, which makes sense I guess. My files are all in folders of up to 4 levels, and the TOC is now generated with hrefs like this:

href="ish/common/types/AccountTransactionType.html"

rather than

href="../../../ish/common/types/AccountTransactionType.html"

I'm looking at the links in autotox.xsl but they all point to

      <xsl:call-template name="href.target">
        <xsl:with-param name="context" select="$toc-context"/>
        <xsl:with-param name="toc-context" select="$toc-context"/>
      </xsl:call-template>

and that in turn can be found in html.xsl

<xsl:template name="href.target">
  <xsl:param name="context" select="."/>
  <xsl:param name="object" select="."/>
  <xsl:text>#</xsl:text>
  <xsl:call-template name="object.id">
    <xsl:with-param name="object" select="$object"/>
  </xsl:call-template>
</xsl:template>

but it appears to only link to anchors on the same page (starts with #) and not to the full path. So I'm a little stuck again. Do we need to reset the toc-context to point back to the top?

Thanks
Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis