Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Preserving entities and language translation

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016, Richard Hamilton wrote:

Hi Warren,

I'm not sure if I can come up with a standard, or truly elegant way of doing this, but here are a few possibilities:

1) If the only entities in your files are the ones that shouldn't be translated, just don't have xmllint resolve the entities when you normalize the file, then use it again to expand entities when you get the translated files back. Of course, this option won't work if you have other entities that contain content you need to translate.

Unfortunately, we use lots of entities for lots of things, and almost all of them need to be translated.

2) Place the large blocks in files that would be included using xinclude. You could then translate the file before resolving the inclusions. Of course, this one doesn't work if you have other xincludes that contain content you need to translate.

The good aspect of that is that we currently don't have anything that uses xinclude. It seems like we would not be able to use xinclude for anything else afterward, though.

3) Create a simple XSL stylesheet or script (Perl, PHP, ...) that would convert the code as you have shown below, leaving everything else as is, then another script that converts the translated file back. You could then run xmllint to resolve those entities. This is a five-step process:

 - Run the first script to transform the translate on/off processing instructions into non-entities.
 - Run xmllint to normalize everything else
 - Translate
 - Run the second script on the translated file to restore the entities inside the translate instructions
 - Run xmllint to resolve those entities.

Right. It would be really nice if xmllint could call external programs to handle processing instruction filters. Then the entity-to-text and text-to-entity conversion would be done in memory.

Otherwise, we would have to temporarily modify the original source files on disk (!), run xmllint, then restore them:

  make backup copies of document XML files
  transform marked entities to text in original files
  create normalized file with xmllint
  restore backups

I hope that helps.

It does, yes.  Thank you!

PS: I added my FreeBSD.org address to Cc. Apologies if my other address bounced anyone's mail.