Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Xsltproc with XInclude (Docbook 5)

Also on Fedora 23, 64bit

On 2 May 2016 at 01:43,  <stimits@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to find a suitable combination of tools under Linux (currently
> Fedora 23) for validating and publishing from Docbook 5 to PDF, PostScript,
> RTF, and some variant of HTML (preferably xhtml strict, but most any variant
> will work).

Edit: Emacs.
Validate: Jing
to  PDF: One of the two commercial XSL-FO tools, Antenna House  or XEP
RTF: Steve? I can't find it (GIYF)
PS: Don't know.
HTML: Standard Docbook transforms.

 Some of my testing "almost" works via xsltproc using the
> sourceforge download for docbook.xsl, but apparently what I need is the "xi"
> version, docbookxi.xsl, which I have not been able to find. If I give up
> dividing into multiple files vi XInclude, and instead use a DTD and
> entities, or else create one large monolithic file, things work...however,
> this is very difficult to work with...I'd end up going back to less
> desirable less flexible tools.

You might want to shift from the DTD's to relax ng, then use the namespaced
version.

xsltproc might work, but I have bash shell scripts for all my conversions.

> For use of Docbook 5 under Linux and xsltproc, where would I find a suitable
> XInclude stylesheet (docbook.xsl)? Or is there some other recommended route
> for processing Docbook 5 books while splitting into separate files for each
> chapter?

I expand my includes using the resolver.jar file?

ava   -cp /sgml:/myjava/saxon655.jar:/myjava/xercesImpl.jar:/myjava/resolver.jar
 -Djavax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl
    -Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl
    -Dorg.apache.xerces.xni.parser.XMLParserConfiguration=org.apache.xerces.parsers.XIncludeParserConfiguration
com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet   -o op.html   -w1 <input>.xml
docbook.html.xsl  "saxon.extensions=1"  $4 $5 $6

HTH

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.