Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] <h1> headers in html and webhelp output of <book>

Hi Warren,

Thanks a lot for your reply. See my comments inline.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Warren Young <wyml@etr-usa.com> wrote:
On Jul 28, 2016, at 1:48 AM, Fekete, Róbert <robert.fekete@balabit.com> wrote:

> We don't use numbered sect tags, only <section>s

So use <sect1>, <sect2>, etc, and you’ll get <h1>, <h2>, etc. in your output.

I can't use <sectX>, because our books are heavily modular and reused. <sectX> makes content reuse very difficult.

> Our web team notified us that having multiple h1 tags in the html is not really SEO-friendly, that's why I'd like to change it.

Ugh…

Either your DocBook isn’t structured semantically, so that your SEO team is “right” in the sense that search engines are going to look askance at the poorly-structured output, or you’re letting the tail wag the dog here.

Properly used, DocBook HTML output should be SEO-friendly in the sense that it resembles properly structured pre-bubble HTML, the way Sir Tim designed it.  All styling decisions should be purely in CSS, not by hacking the DocBook to force specific HTML structures.

When creating a single-page HTML book with the stock docbook stylesheets, there are multiple <h1> tags (chapter titles, preface, appendix titles, and so on).

> In the webhelp output we have a custom h1 tag that includes the name of the book and the chunk

Shouldn’t that be <title>?

I insert a <h1> tag containing the title of the book and the section from the webhelp stylesheet (in the navheader element), and I'd like this to be the only <h1> tag in the webhelp output. But similarly to the single-page html docbook renders the chapter titles and such as <h1> in the content of the page.