Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] <programlisting linenumbering="numbered"> does not number...

Comments inline

Bob - correct me if I'm wrong please.

On 12 February 2017 at 20:58,  <stimits@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious about the mix of components for Saxon. In the original CLASSPATH
> I've been using with the Saxon jar files distributed with DocBook 5.1 and
> and the highlighter, I've used this:
> docbook5/stylesheet/docbook-xsl-ns-1.79.1/tools/lib/saxon.jar
> docbook5/stylesheet/docbook-xsl-ns-1.79.1/extensions/saxon65.jar
> xslthl-2.1.3/xslthl-2.1.3.jar
>
> I'm thinking "extensions/saxon65.jar" is probably the version 6.5, and that
> the implementation of "com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet" (which is what is called on
> the java command line) is from saxon.jar. I see that those files
> (distributed with DocBook 1.79.1) also make available "saxon9he.jar", so
> I've experimented with replacing "saxon.jar" with "saxon9he.jar". When I do
> this java is no longer able to find "com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet":
> Error: Could not find or load main class com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet

The second 'saxon' jar is extended to include docbook processing. It
is not the prime transform jar file AFAIK

> ...is there an alternate implementation for "com.icl.saxon.StyleSheet" when
> using saxon9he.jar, or am I going about getting saxon9 the wrong way? I have
> not been able to get a valid command line with direct java calls naming
> saxon9he.jar.

For understanding, write a 3 line docbook (or any xml file)
and transform it using xslt.
   use saxon 6.5 and you'll get xslt 1.0
    Use saxon 7+ (ideally the latest from sourceforge) and you'll get
   xslt 2.0 (and the stylesheet will need to match)

Then you can start doing docbook processing.
Some (bit of research needed) docbook processing needs
java 'extensions' which are called up from the xslt.
That's where the second jar file comes in. *NOT* for the
prime transform?

> My installed Linux has "Saxon-HE 9.4.0.9J from Saxonica" by means of the
> Linux Fedora packages, and has a command line wrapper shell script "saxon".

I too use Fedora 25, 64 bit, but still install and access the
seperate saxon 9 file for transforms. Likely the same but
I can't confirm that.

> The syntax to use the Linux saxon 9 wrapper script is different than calling
> java jar files directly as an argument to "java". While trying to drop
> calling java directly, and to adapt to this newer wrapper script syntax, my
> experiments finally got past outright failure before starting...but then it
> fails immediately after starting with this message: warning: "Running an
> XSLT 1 stylesheet with an XSLT 2 processor".

Ask Bob or the team about that. You do need a 'version = 2.0'
declaration in the stylesheets, but note it is a warning?
  In theory, a 2.0 processor can process a 1.0 stylesheet, though
there are issues (odd cases).

IMHO you need to understand the xslt process. Basically
java -cp .. main.method, sourceXML, stylesheet, output.
See http://www.saxonica.com/html/documentation/using-xsl/commandline.html
for full detail

> Is DocBook 1.79.1 combined with xslthl-2.1.3 a mix of XSLT 1 and 2? I'm
> struggling to find the right tool combination...since DocBook 1.79.1 ships
> with both saxon.jar and saxon9he.jar perhaps some "magic combination" of jar
> files would solve the missing highlighting. Other people have had this work,
> so I must still be missing some detail about how I am using Saxon for
> highlighting.

I can't answer that - I don't peek into the corners so don't trip over
this issue.  Wait till Bob or the team answer?

HTH

> Thanks!

>>> from param.xsl which needs to change and not mentioned in the above URL

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.