Subject: AW: [docbook-apps] tagged and accessible PDF document with DocBook

Hi Holger,

we are generating PDF/UA from DocBook at work (but we use a different FO processor).

The FO processors have support/extensions for
- role tagging to generate the tag structure (we handle this in the xsl layer, but of course autotagging may also be an option, if supported by the processor)
- document title as metadata title (dc:title)
- alternative texts for images
- actual text (e.g. for links)
- expansion text for abbreviations
Language information is also critical for accessible documents.

If you are interested, I can provide more information on how we modified the stylesheets.

Katharina

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Holger Bast [mailto:holgerbast@gmx.de]
Gesendet: Montag, 3. April 2017 22:12
An: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi there,
thanks all for your replies! Accessibility is getting more and more important, not only for public authorities.
I read a bit in the documentation of XEP http://www.renderx.com/files/XEPUserGuide.pdf as well as the link Tony provided. It seams to me that both processors already include their own interpretation mechanism for xsl:fo to apply a reasonable tagging structure.

If there is no specification in xsl:fo how to apply the right structural information there will be no normative instance and all processors will handle these kind of information in their own manner. I think the "role" attribute can be that kind of normative element that is suitable for this purpose. Nice would be some kind of switch (via parameter) that enables accessibility support for the fo-transformation. But I just started understanding the docbook-xsl files...

Here are some of my resources, maybe they can help you:

The following document gives a short overview how xml structural information can be applied to pdf. The document contains also a list of elements that should be tagged (see table 1) https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9a51/cd67046a81d4e02d6b4b35fa402bacc892f8.pdf

PAC 2 - PDF Accessibility Checker (PAC 2) PAC is an easy to use tool to check if your pdf document is accessible. If not PAC will show you the problems in the structure as well as inside the document.
http://www.access-for-all.ch/en/pdf-lab/pdf-accessibility-checker-pac.html

And last but not least the pdf specification document. I didn't read the document yet. I try to get my hands on it in the next days.
ISO 14289-1:2014 - Document management applications -- Electronic document file format enhancement for accessibility -- Part 1: Use of ISO 32000-1 (PDF/UA-1) https://www.iso.org/standard/64599.html

Holger